On all of our Cardiff Sea Safaris tours we demonstrate a clear and unswerving commitment to safety – your safety and comfort are paramount and as one of the busiest operators of RIB passenger voyages in the UK we regularly review our practises to ensure we are at the forefront of the industry maintaining our standard for others to follow.
- Should you require copies of our Insurance or Risk assessments we will be happy to e-mail them across to you in advance of your booking.
- We closely follow the investigations conducted by the Maritime Accident Investigation Branch to ensure that our operations follow the latest best practice and safety codes, modes of operation.
- We strive to find a balance between commercial considerations, the thrill and excitement of high speed passenger boats while reducing the inherent risks as much as reasonably practical.
Cardiff Sea Safaris are licensed by the Maritime Coastguard Agency (MCA) and regulated by Cardiff Harbour Authority. We operate to a strict Safety Management System (SMS) which provides clear operational procedures including regular;
- Risk assessments
- Emergency drills and procedure training
- Shore side procedures
- Pontoon boarding procedures and method statements
- Maintenance procedures
- Training programme and marine safety manual
- Passage plans
- Search and Rescue plans
Cardiff Sea Safaris Safety Management System of operation is regularly reviewed by experts in the power boating field.
On all of our Cardiff Sea Safaris Vessels we carry all the up-to-date safety equipment available to meet licensing and our Safety Management System requirements which includes:
- 14 man life raft with Solas B pack
- Thermal protective aids
- Approved first aid kit (CAT C)
- Floating throw lines
- Lifesaving buoys, with buoyant throw lines or lights
- Icom fixed marine VHF/DSC radios
- Icom Handheld marine VHF radios
- Suitable high holding anchors
Our skippers are in constant communication via radio with the appropriate VTS for our locations, other commercial operators, and Coastguard as well as our dedicated shore team by phone.
As with all boats we can be called upon at any time to assist another vessel in difficulty and due to our responsiveness, frequency of operation and level of equipment carried we have been able to help other in difficulty in the Bristol Channel on a number of occasions. We do not view ourselves as just a commercial operator, preferring instead to be seem as a responsible operator in the Cardiff Bay boating community and helpful wherever necessary to ensure that Cardiff Bay is as safe as possible for all water users
Cardiff Sea Safaris is insured by Coleman Marine Insurers. Coleman are one the largest Commercial boat insurers in the UK. We have full Public Liability Insurance to four times the legal requirement level.
We also operate a complete Marine Operators Combined Liability Policy.
All the Cardiff Sea Safaris Skippers are commercial qualified advanced powerboat handlers and benefit from extensive local knowledge. Alongside their vast experienced in using high speed craft with fare paying passengers they must also have completed the Cardiff Sea Safaris specific training programme for each of the vessels they drive. Our Skippers are required under our SMS to complete regular training and emergency drills.
Although not required by law to complete any specific training Cardiff Sea Safaris Safety Management System requires guides to have completed training equivalent to RYA Powerboat Level 2. All guides have under gone Cardiff Sea Safaris guide training which includes: basic boat handling, navigation, radio operation, emergency procedures and man overboard procedures.
Cardiff Harbour Authority Pontoons
We also comply with the strict code of conduct and risk assessments required to operate from the Cardiff Harbour Authority Pontoons at Mermaid Quay/Barrage South /Barrage north and Taff embankment.
Adults and children are fitted with sleek automatic life jackets which will inflate should you enter the water, however they can also be inflated manually using the inflation toggle. Due to the size of our jackets, one size fits all, we restrict the height of our passengers to a minimum of 1.2m as well as ensuring they are fitted correctly by our staff for your comfort and safety.